Friday, August 8, 2008

Day 43:

My feet are so tired! Tonight we went to "King Lear" (a Shakespeare play) at the Globe theatre. The professors not only wanted us to have the full experience of the Globe, but also wanted to get the cheapest tickets possible, so we got to be "groundlings" and watch the show while standing in the courtyard around the stage. Its one thing to wear your feet out walking, but I think just standing for 3 hrs is worse. The play itself was good. I'm not a big Shakespeare buff, and since I didn't already know the story I found it a bit rough to follow at times, but the acting was amazing. King Lear is an old man who begins to go mad and gets continually crazier throughout the play. The actor was brilliant - he really made the Shakespeare come to life and I found myself so enthralled in his character.

The earlier part of the day was good as well. We had classes and then I spent the afternoon in Dr. Paul's flat working on my essay for Women's Question. She gave some good feedback and some helpful suggestions. I ended up not needing to fix much which was really good, and it seemed like she was impressed by my paper. Wahoo! That was pretty much it, so luckily we had King Lear to end it on a high note. (Well, as high of a note as a tragedy can leave you on...)

No comments: