Saturday, July 5, 2008

10 days down... and many to go.



Today wasn't my most exciting day yet. Hopefully that means I can be quick writing this because I need to do some reading before bed. I spent the majority of the day reading, in fact. There is just so much to get done for my classes... and I'll admit, I'm not the fastest reader. Of course, this isn't helped by the fact that every time I try to read I end up falling asleep. Oh well.


There was one really fun thing I did today, however. I just happened to see an advertisement for some "dance around the Palace" thing when I was running last week and so we decided to check it out just for fun. It was at Kensington Palace (just a 5 minute walk) and they had a big white tent set up over a dance floor. They were teaching ballroom and "rock and roll" (which means 50's swing) lessons for anyone and everyone as well as doing some demonstration shows. We came in the middle of a class so decided to take a walk to get some free gelatto from a place we'd seen and come back for the next class. The gelatto shop was much further away than we'd thought (although well worth it for free ice-cream) so when we got back they were in the middle of the next class. We just watched for a while and then they turned on the music and just let everyone dance. I got to dance a couple times with an old Mexican (???) man and it was so fun. (Rachel took a few pics, but I'll have to get them from her later.) I loved that there were old people and young people, some good dancers and some non-dancers all there enjoying themselves. We found out this event was connected with a bigger week-long festival called Big Dance 2008 which has tons of dance venues (mostly free) going on all over London for the next week. We now have an overwhelming list of events we'd like to go to if we can somehow find the time.


Tonight, after getting fed up with reading, I decided to do another walk with a few people in Regent's Park. The houses that surrounded the park were incredible. I can't even fathom how much money it would cost to live in one. Nevertheless, I took a picture of my favorite one just incase... :) We got a little disoriented on this walk too (I could complain about these walks, but I'll refrain for now) but at least we were able to find most of the high points.



Well, not the most exciting Saturday yet, but all in all I enjoyed the things I did and am gratful that I got so much reading done.


No comments: