Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 36:

Today I feel so much better about life than yesterday. I promised myself I wouldn't get frustrated, so I didn't. Mind over matter. We had classes, then Summer and I went to the British Tate Museum. It was ok. I should have appreciated it more, but I guess I just wasn't in an artsy mood for very long. I did like the first exhibit I looked at though. It was the Victorian Pre-Raphellite exhibit. Dante Gabrielle Rosetti is the only name I remember because we read about him in class. He almost always wrote poetry to accompany his paintings. I actually really liked his work. Summer and I took a very long and unintentional detour to the Tube station, but got home for dinner.
Then, tonight we had a British politician, Julian Bell, come speak to us. He works for a member of Parliament and is the Party leader/head hauncho dude for the Ealing Borough (like a big city, but there's no state level so its really quite a big role). It was interesting, but most of us left feeling like he preached his party more than he taught us anything significant about government in Britain. We didn't know what he was talking about half the time... and if he had only spoken half the time we would have been much happier (he rambled a lot). Let me summarize what I learned: The Labor Party is the progressive party. Everything good is done by the Labor Party. The Labor Party is comparable to the Democratic party in the US (but don't be confused that the Dem. color is blue and the Labor color is red). You can be a good Latter-Day Saint and still play hard-ball politics. Only slander the competition (aka the Conservative Party) if what you say is true, but if it is true, chuck it at 'em. Oh, and did I mention, the Labor Party is the perfect, progressive, do-everything-right party. Wow- don't you feel smart now? I sure do.
After the lecture, I finished revising an essay and did research for the next essay on my plate. Doesn't sound like much, but I feel very accomplished. Wow, this all sounds incredibly boring, but it really was a good day.

No comments: