Sunday, July 6, 2008

Day Eleven:

I don't have any pictures from today, but most of what we did was church related so I guess that makes sense. I got to play piano in primary today (half of my calling) and then sit in on one of the primary classes which I will be teaching from here on out (other half of my calling). The children were so sweet. I was impressed by their knowledge of the gosple and their willingness to answer questions and sing. All the songs and lessons in sharing time were based on Missionary Work. I thought this was a fitting theme, seeing as the majority of their parents are converts and there are always investigators coming to church with the missionaries. In fact, the neatest part of my experience today involves one of these investigators. She came with her daughter, Beyonce. They arrived early, as did we, so I invited Beyonce to come wait with me in the Primary room. We doodled in my notebook and I tried (key word) to teach her to play tic-tac-toe. (That game is a lot harder to teach than I thought. How do you explain that you want to get three in a row, but you can't just make your three linear marks or else the other person will mess you up... quite complicated.) Anyway, she was really shy at first but by the time primary started we had become great little friends. Between primary classes she came to me wanting to go be with her mom, but I told her the secret about parent church meetings... that is that they are VERY boring and she would have so much more fun with the kids her age in primary. She staid and had a great time. Then before Sacrament meeting she saw me and almost knocked me over with a big hug. She asked if she could sit by me, but this time I figured she probably should sit with her mom and the missionaries. But, the best part was after Sacrament when she gave me another hug and told me she'd see me next week in Primary. (And her mom smiled and said the same.) Even though I wasn't involved in the missionary process, I was so happy to see the resuts working in the life of this beautiful family.

Tonight I had another neat experience. BYU Academic Vice President John Tanner and his wife Susan W. Tanner (just released as Young Women's General President) came to the London Center for dinner and to give a fireside. Their messages were just what I needed. Both addressed charity and how we acquire it. Specifically, Brother Tanner discussed stripping yourself of envy. He said one of the greatest qualities we can posess is being able to rejoice with those that rejoice... in other words finding happiness rather than envy or jealousy in the success of others. I thought this is something we all struggle with. We somehow feel diminished when others have success, even though that makes no sense logically. I want to be the person who not only feigns happiness for others, but who truly feels uplifted when others succeed. Just think how much better all our various relationships would be without that envy. Sister Tanner talked about a related subject: pride, and how charity and compassion are the antidotes for pride. Her talk just left me with such a strong sense that I can be better. I want to be better. Heavenly Father has given us so much potential, but I need to access more of that.

I am so grateful for the spiritual experiences I am having here. I am learning so much and seeing so much, but mostly I am realizing how very blessed I am.

No comments: