
Karly and I at the top of the hike. Isn't it beautiful?

After the hike the whole group toured the Ediburgh Castle. It is a big fortress up high on an extinct volcanoe. I was interesting to hear how its construction and usage has changed over its 900ish year history. James VI of Scotland was born here (by Mary Queen of Scots). He was the one to become James I of England, finally uniting the monarchy peacefully because he was the actual heir to both thrones. The castle is now home to the Scottish Crown Jewels, the war museum, a troop of soldiers, and LOTS of tourists. The newest building there was constructed in the 1920s as a memorial to all Scottish soldiers killed in war. The newest name was added a few days ago from a soldier in Afghanistan.


We watched these two men demonstrate the use of ancient weapons and tell us a little about Scottish history.


We saw both the statue and grave of Adam Smith, the father of economics and author of "Wealth of Nations" which was particularly influential in American History. He's another person I have studied in the past but who I hope we learn more about in Political Science.
In the grave-yard a Scottish man told us a story about Charles Dickins. He was giving a reading in Edinburgh and was strolling through the grave-yard but the dim lights and his minor dyslexia combined as he looked at a grave labeled "Ebenezer Sgroogie Manning". This was the origin of our favorite "Ebenezer Sgrooge, Mean-man". Unfortunately the gravehead is no longer there, but the old man showed us right where it used to be.Our last stop along the Royal Mile (the main stree that leads from the old castle down to the new castle) was the Holyrood House which is the current resident of the Queen when she visits Scotland each summer. It was fantastic. The inside reminded me of Versaille on a much smaller scale, but the rooms had the same layout, with each becoming more exquisite and intimate up to the royal bedchamber. Mary Queen of Scots lived here for a while, among others... I'd like to learn more about her. I think she was the one we call "Bloody Mary" who was locked up in the Tower of London by her cousin Elizabeth I for a large period of her life. Next to (combined to?) the Holyrood House were the remains of an abbey from about 900 years ago.
Listening to my audio-guide at the Holyrood House
Abbey ruins (Arthur's seat is just behind the tree)
Danielle and I in the Holyrood gardens
Well, after lots of learning, I did lots of shopping, my biggest purchase being a tartan blanket (the kind you lay out in your trunk and use on picnics). We had dinner at a highly recommended (and highly saturated) "Chippy". Earlier in the day we had lunch at a place called "Chocolate Soup". None of us actually got the chocolate "soup" but we got some delicious brownie sandwiches (2 wonderful brownies with ice-cream in the middle and chocolate fudge drizzled on top). What a fabulous day!
At the tartan mill where they weave blankets, skarves, and kilts.

No comments:
Post a Comment