He told us this very gory story about a man who didn't pay the executioner (as was customary to ensure a quick, clean head-chopping) and the executioner let him have it. The first blow came down in his left shoulder blade. The second got his head. The third only went about 2 inches into his neck and the next blow got his other shoulder blade. Finally the executioner took out his knife and sawed the man's head off. Can you imagine?! Don't try too hard.
He told us lots of other stories and that combined with our walks through the various towers culminated in a head full of bewilderment as to HOW such crazy and barbaric things could be allowed. Luckily torture wasn't used TOO much... mostly just imprisonment and head-chopping with occasional hangings. But we did see an exhibition about the types of torture the did infrequently use. Take your pick: would you rather be stretched until your limbs and joints were pulled apart or folded and then squished with unbearable weight. If neither of those suit you, you could be hung by your wrists for hours at a time, allowing the weight of your body to probably dislocate your shoulders or something. This was my reaction: (I was attempting to look scared... Apparently I need to work on that face.)

Also on Tower Hill is kept the Crown Jewels. It is unbelievable how much money's worth is just sitting there unused in that building. The jewels were beautiful, but really, what makes a crown attractive or desireable? I think I'd prefer a royal necklace or a jeweled headband... the crowns are just kinda funny-looking if you really think about it.

Another thing we saw was the armory (sp?) with just a bunch of suits of armor that had belonged to kings and other important people. There was one that would have fit Jackson... do you think you could have handled a sword Jack? This is the armour for a horse! Never thought about needing that, but thank heaven - poor animals.

You may have heard of some of the people that were either killed and/or imprisoned at the Tower. (People were actually executed about 10 minutes from the tower except the wives of Henry 8th and a few other favorites). William Penn (founder of Pennsylvania), Sir Walter Raleigh (pirate and poet), and the two young princes who mysteriously disappeared there.

After a fun day checking out the tower and learning a lot of cool facts about London's history, we ate some lunch and headed back to the Center. I went on a walk with some girls through Hyde Park. It was ok, but we missed all the sights we were supposed to stop and see which kinda irked me, but it was a beautiful park nevertheless. There are at least 4 huge parks right in the heart of London comparable to Central Park... They're HUGE and very green and lovely.

The last part of the night was unquestionably the best. I talked Rachel and Hannah into coming to a dance performance with me. I just happened upon the information about it. I found some dance pamphlets at a random dancewear store last week and the website for one had a link about this end-of-the-year concert by the London School of Contemporary Dance. It was about 50 student who were gratuating with their BA in dance. I really didn't know what to expect, but it was only 7 pounds and I thought it seemed like the perfect non-professional, real dance performance - especially to see what other modern/contemporary dance students at a more prestigious dance school (I'd assume) were creating. IT WAS INCREDIBLE!!! This is what I've been waiting for!
It took us quite a while to find the place (which happened to be called "The Place") because the directions I was given were correct, but very sparse. But thanks to the help of many kind people we finally found it and were lucky enought to get tickets. The first piece and two last pieces were our favorites. I wish I could do them justice in explaining them, but I don't even think it's worth trying. The movement was so fluid from one thing to the next - especially partering - but so edgy and always juxtaposing percussive with fluidity. The last dance was one that really made you think and was almost a bit uncomfortable to make a point. It started out with a lone dancer and the words, "In the Beginning, there was Darkness..." The movement was chaotic and jerky. It seemed to create an atmosphere of confusion and indecision. After a while of this (I don't want to explain any more) the lone dancer is standing just behind a spotlight. The chaotic movment has stopped and he just stands there. Finally he reaches out his hand as if to grasp the light and immediatley the spotlight dissappears and the stage is filled again with all the chaotic movers dancing in sync with their quirky movement. He goes back and joins in the dancing as the words "In the end, there was...." are projected on stage. It was so powerful. We talked after about our interpretations. Rachel felt like it was about individuality and falling in with the crowd; trying to find your own identity, but living in a cookie-cutter world. I think she might be right, but it also made me think of the process of creativity. You begin with darkness - no idea of where to begin. Then you start getting ideas, but they are just so jumbled in your mind. And when you finally make up your mind to reach out and grasp an idea to bring it to fruition, it vanishes and becomes vague again. I just loved how this piece made you think. This is what dance has the power and potential to do.
Wow, that was quite a ramble, but honestly, I was so exhilerated by this performance. I wish I could see it again and again. What a perfect way to close out my day!
No comments:
Post a Comment