Saturday, July 19, 2008

Day 24:

This morning was so weird, I felt like I slept in forever, but I really just got up about 20 minutes later than usual (which is about 20 minutes earlier than most people). Yet somehow, even though I felt like I got a lot of sleep, I was tired all day. Hmmm....

Mallory, Megan, Summer, and I went to Covent Garden at 10 am to get tickets to "La Boheme" (sp?), an Opera at the Royal Opera House. We got 5 pound standing tickets, but luckily we were able to find empty seats and sit for the large majority of it. The opera was nice... I guess this was my first opera experience and this was a rather slow and depressing opera to jump into. There wasn't a lot of action or humor, just a lot of standing and sitting and singing. BUT the music was wonderfully sung and I'm sure if I was more accustomed to opera I would have liked it better. My favorite thing about it was the subtitles (or technically, the supertitles because they went above the actors' heads). Sometimes it took a whole minute to sing five words, with each word getting its own melody, some special words getting a crecendo, and some just got held for ages. And the translation was pretty funny - "I love the fragrance of flowers but the flowers I sew have no smell." But of course in Italian those random words sound very tragic indeed.

Between buying our tickets and seeing the matinee performance (which lasted 3 hours and had 2 full-length intermissions) we went wandering through the shops at Covent Garden. It was just the same as I remember it being when Megan and I were there 2 years ago - except no man making those wire picture-frames. Bummer. I found a suprise to take home to my mom, though, which I hope she likes :)

After the opera I took my Political Science mid-term test, did laundry, walked to H&M (found some cute stuff), ate left overs, started writing a paper and gave up, and now here I am blogging away. A bunch of girls just bursted in ruining the wonderful quiet that we had going in the bedroom, but its understandable... they took a day-trip to Belgium. I wonder who ate the most chocolate?

No comments: