Since the dance performance last night got rained out (and we got lost), Veronica, Sara and I decided to give it a second chance. It was being performed today at 1:15 and again at 6:30. Our last class finished at 1:00 so we knew we'd be pushing it, but we RAN to the tube stop and immediately caught a train, BUT there must have been mechanical difficulties because we were stopped on the rails for about 15 minutes during our ride. When we got to St. Pauls at 1:40 we could see the dancers walking away. We wanted to cry... I mean, we ran!
We tried making angry faces... I obviously failed miserably and ended up looking stupid. The lady we asked to take the photo didn't speak English and she was so confused when we all frowned at her instead of smiling. I couldn't help but laugh... while my eyebrows stayed in angry mode.To curb our disappointment, we decided to get some lunch. We found an awesome place called MYO (Make Your Own). It's like Subway except you actually make your sandwich and can choose different kinds of rolls, breads, spreads, meat, etc. It was delicious! It satisfied me enough that I could go home and hit the library.
After dinner Mallory and I were going to go to a free lecture about Degas' ballerina paintings at the National Gallery, but we realized we probably wouldn't make it in time, so we decided to head back to St. Pauls to try and catch the dance show one last time. Third time is a charm! We got there early! And... no rain until after the dancing was over (just lots of cold wind)!
Third time's a charm! Finally, no frowns and no umbrellas!
The performance was... hmmm. I guess I expected a lot from the little I read, and after all the trouble we took to see it, I was a bit disappointed. The students were from 3 different dance academies in London (including a ballet school, Laban, and LDSC) and were just second year students, so the level of performance wasn't as good as hoped, but I was even more confused by the choreography. She has one national awards, but I just wasn't wowed by her stuff. I couldn't figure out what her movement had to do with the venue.

Well, after seeing the dance show, we went to the box office to get tickets for Les Mis and then allowed ourselves to get distracted with all the fun shopping in that area. I got a skirt and a dress (not a t-shirt and jeans like I actually need on this trip, but good purchases). We had fun just wandering the busy streets by Picadilly Circus.
No comments:
Post a Comment