Running. School. Walk. Dinner. Theatre. Snack. Read. Sleep.
That's my day in a nutshell. Some things don't need much more explaination, but I'll elaborate on others. For example, school: I thought I was prepared, afterall, I spent all of Monday doing homework, but somehow classes were extremely discouraging. For example, we don't technically need to have read "Persuasion" (by Jane Austin) until July 7th, BUT we spent half of class discussing it. Seeing as I haven't read it, I felt really confused and stupid. Then in Political Science (the class I read SO much Machiavelli for) we spent a lot of time discussing a chapter I didn't understand very well rather than those that were more fresh on my mind. However, I really like how Dr. Holland teaches - it makes me want to participate and understand so I asked questions and tried to make contribute with answers and ideas when he asked for them. The subject matter is just kinda deep though (philosophy) so even though I left feeling a bit overwhelmed.
For our "walk" of the day, we took the "City Walk" which led us through the financial district. It was really interesting to see the old juxtaposed with the new. One of the first buildings we went into was St. Mary Le Bow. It was one of Christopher Wren's earliest projects (he designed 50+ churches after the Great Fire in 1666). On the steeple is a golden dragon and inside are beautiful stained-glass windows. Anyone born within the sound of the bells of St. Mary Le Bow, according to legend, is considered a Cockney, so named because of a rooster that lived in the tower during medieval times.
In the courtyard of the Church was a statue of John Smith. I guess that makes since because he was from London, but to us it seemed rather ironic as he is such a prominent figure in American history.

We took a little detour trying to find the ancient Roman temple ruins of Mithras. Come to find out, the ruins (which are rather small and only consist of a floorplan with no standing structures) were hidden behind a construction site! Can you imagine... buildings of the Roman era, the Victorian era, and from right now in 2008 all crammed side by side (and when I say crammed I mean it!)?

Next we saw the Bank of London and the Royal Exchange. We were wondering: In the movie "Mary Poppins", didn't the dad work at the bank, and if so, are the steps of the Royal Exchange where they fed the birds... tuppence a bag? On the facade of the Royal Exchange were the words "The earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof." If only those words were really taken to heart by those who work in that business (not only in London, but everywhere).

Bank of England (up) Royal Exchange (down)


After winding through some delightful streets, where beautiful old buildings housed ritzy new stores, we found ourselves in front of 3 of the coolest modern architecture buildings in London. The Swiss Reinsurance Tower is shaped like a big egg - all windows. The Lloyd's Building looks like it was built inside-out. Unfortunately, you have to work there to ride up the elevator, but wouldn't that be neat?! The third is called Minster Court. It was used in filming the movie "101 Dalmations" for Cruella's work-place.





The rest was less exciting. We were supposed to be able to see both the London Bridge and the Tower Bridge, but there was a road blockage so we didn't get a very good view. Its ok though 'cause we'll see them later. We went up Pudding Street, where the Great Fire was supposedly started. We didn't get to see the last site "THE Monument" because we ran out of time, but I'll see it and explain it another day.
Oh, but I almost forgot the most entertaining sight of the day: The "Drawn and Quartered Pub". What more need I say?


After dinner, the entire group (students and professors) went to a play at the National Theatre, "Major Barbra", by George Bernard Shaw (the second most famous playwright after Shakespeare). It was great - the stage was wonderful, the actors were great, the story was... well, if truth be told, the story was overwhelming! It was the perfect play to see because it addressed what we're studying in both of my classes very thoroughly. It talked a lot about the deplorable state of women in society and their reliance on marraige and status to get by. It also brought up (and this was the overwhelming part) multiple arguments, which were shot at you one after the other, about moral philosphy. Two of the characters humorously, but appropriately, referred to each other as Euripedes and Machiavelli... so you can see how there may have been some very philosophical themes. I liked it, but lets be honest... it wasn't Les Miserables or Thoroghly Modern Millie, etc. It made me think (for about 5 minutes - I couldn't handle much more), but it didn't make me happy or inspired or really give me any lasting feelings. I know it did so for others, but to each his own I guess.
Today was incredible. I saw a lot, I did a lot, and I learned a lot. But I cried a little in there too. I think it was a mix of things... feeling a little homesick for all the people I love, feeling alone but surrounded by people, and feeling overwhelmed by school and just inadequate for my classes. I remember a poem I wrote 2 summers ago when Megan and I were in London on a school tour. It started out, "Among the masses, I feel so alone." It was a lame poem and I don't remember any more, but those words came back to me yesterday as I just wanted someone to hug or someone to talk with... you know, REALLY talk with. While it was somewhat of a rough night, it made me so very grateful for all the people in my life. My family and friends are one-of-a-kind. I am so blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment