Saturday, July 26, 2008

Day 26:

Today we drove about 7 hors total to Durham , England. We stopped in Haworth to see the Parish where the Bronte sisters lived (Charlotte, Emily, and Anne - all authors). It was actually really neat. I liked their cottage better than Anne Hathaway's because there were a lot of real artifacts from the Brontes: paintings, samplers, toys, and writings from their childhood. We learned a lot of random facts about them in the Women's Question class but seeing their Parish as well as the church where their father presided and they are buried really hdlped those facts come to life. I loved the Moor-land where they lived... the hills and stretches of green grass. It helped me envision where these novels would have taken place.
Memorial inside the chapel saying this is where the Bronte family is buried.

After Haworth we drove the rest of the way to Durham. Its a fun, quaint city set around a beautiful river. And guess where we're staying? A CASTLE! Really! The castle has actually been converted into a university but they rent out the dorm rooms during the summer. The outside is beautiful and our area wasn't bad (carpets, paintings in the hall...), but I guess the other half of the students were "banished" to the tower (no carpet, no nothing...).

One we dropped off our things we walkd across the terrace to the Durham Cathedral which is actually quite famous. I loved it! It is 900 years old and built in more of a Roman than a Gothic style (which is typical of most of the cathedrals we've seen). The staned glass windows, the large stone pillars, the high ceiling, the chapel with a memorial to all the Durham soldiers... I just loved it!

After exploring the Cathedral we went to the only restaurant still open... a pub in the central marked square. It was suprisingly good food! In fact, one of the best restaurant meals I've had so far.Then Stephen and I found a path that led us up the backside of the hill to the Cathedral. It was beautiful.Having a nice swig of water at the pub.

Backside of the castle.


We joined a group that was hanging out on the castle lawn for some stunt practicing (cartwheels, walkovers, etc) and then the Holland family joined us for a rousing game of missionary tag. Finally, a group of us went back to the Cathedral and sat near the graveyard telling semi-scary stories. Luckily they mostly ended funny so I think I'll be safe from nightmares.

No comments: